In this article: Relocating to Melbourne: Getting a Drivers Licence it covers everything you need to know about relocating to Melbourne and getting a Victorian drivers licence? You should be aware that each state in Australia has a separate governing body that is responsible for issuing drivers licences. In Victoria it is Vic Roads. Visit: or ph 131171.

My number one tip is to do your research first. Ensure you know what the eligibility criteria is and have all the correct paperwork, ready before you go and see them. It can be a time consuming process if you don’t have the right paperwork, so you want to make sure you only have to go there once.

Steps for Relocating to Melbourne: Getting Drivers Licence

Step 1: Check your eligibility to qualify for a Victorian driver licence

To transfer your interstate licence you first MUST make an appointment with Vic Roads.

There is no cost to convert your interstate licence, assuming it is a current licence. You are provided with a 3 month grace period, allowing you to drive on your interstate licence, before it must be swapped to a Victorian licence.

Transferring a Vehicle to Victoria

When you book in for your appointment, you will also need to provide the VIN, registration and engine number of your current vehicle.

You also need to bring your number plates to your appointment as they are exchanged on the day for Victorian plates.

You must pay for a full 12 months registration on the vehicle. You will be issued with a receipt. You need to mail that receipt off to the relevant licensing authority interstate, and they will reimburse you for the balance of any registration owning on your car.

On a 457 Visa and Moving or Relocating to Melbourne

Rules for temporary and permanent visas holders

If you hold a temporary visa i.e. 457 Visa:

  • you are not required to get a Victorian driver licence and/or learner permit
  • you can drive using your current overseas driver licence for the length of your stay
  • your driver licence must be written in English or accompanied by an English translation or international driving permit.
  • You must get a relevant international drivers permit before you come (and ideally ensure it is written in English)
  • If you are coming from a non English speaking country, you can get a translation (of the licence) done here in Australia. This is done from your relevant embassy.

Permanent Visa

Step 2: Check if your overseas driver licence is recognised for conversion

If your overseas driver licence was issued from one of the countries or jurisdictions listed here (  your driver licence IS recognised in Victoria and you will not need to sit a drive test.

You will need to review the list for full details about other countries not listed and what you need to do.

If you hold a permanent visa (issued under the Migration Act 1958) you may drive on your overseas driver licence if it’s written in English or accompanied by an English translation or international driving permit for:

  • 6 months from the date you first entered Australia (if the permanent visa was issued before you entered Australia), or
  • 6 months from the date when the permanent visa was issued (if the permanent visa was issued to you while in Australia).

If you want to continue driving in Victoria after this time you must get a Victorian driver licence. If your overseas driver licence has expired, you will still be able to take the drive test as you are exempt from holding a learner permit for the test.

Once you are issued with a Victorian driver licence or learner permit, it is against the law to use your overseas or interstate driver licence to drive in Victoria.

It also depends on which country you come from as to whether you need to be re-tested. For example India and Saudi Arabia are not recognized by the Victorian system. Therefore, clients would need to sit all three tests (Learner Test, Hazard Perception Test and the Practice drive test), and if successful, they are issued with the equivalent licence.


Step 3: Book an appointment

To book an appointment to convert your driver licence without being tested, you can:

 Step 4: Prepare for your appointment – What to bring to the appointment

Documents You Will Need:

  1. Your original evidence of identity documents (Current interstate license)
  • A document that verifies your new address i.e.
    • Utility bills
    • Rental agreement
    • Bank statement (you will need to have your new address on this statement though)
  • A secondary form of identification such as a: Medicare card or ATM bank card.
  • Your current overseas licence written in English or accompanied by an English translation or an international driving permit. If your overseas licence is not available, you can provide a letter on original letterhead from either:
    • your issuing country’s driver licensing authority confirming your overseas driver licence details, or
    • your issuing country’s consul in Australia where the consul has verified your licence details with the issuing country’s licensing authority.
  • A completed licence or learner permit application form [PDF 829 Kb]
  • Refer to driver licence and learner permit fees for information about fees.

Using an international driving permit in Victoria

An international driving permit is not valid on its own. You must carry your current overseas driver licence and your international driving permit when driving in Victoria.

An international driving permit must:

  • comply with the United Nations convention for international driving permits, and
  • be issued by the country the overseas driver licence is issued in
  • show the first issue date of your overseas driver licence, licence number and expiry date of your licence. If this information is not displayed on the permit and your overseas driver licence is not written in English, you must provide an acceptable translation.

Moving or relocating from Interstate or New Zealand to Melbourne?

If you hold an interstate or New Zealand licence and now reside in Victoria, you need to convert your licence to a Victorian equivalent.

You must convert your interstate or New Zealand licence once you have resided in Victoria for a continuous period of three months or more. Your licence must be current or not expired by more than five years.

For full details visit:

Vic Roads